Aluminum Wiring Replacement Services in Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas
Don't panic if your Northeast Kansas home has aluminum wiring. Aluminum wiring, when properly installed, can be just as safe as copper. Most Topeka and Lawrence area residential aluminum wiring is, however, very unforgiving of improper installation. This means your home's aluminum wiring could be faulty or damaged and could even cause wiring issues or safety hazards.
People usually encounter aluminum wiring when they move into a Kansas house that was built during the 1970's. If your home has aluminum wiring, you should hire a licensed Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas aluminum wiring replacement specialist like Greenwave Electric to check the following things:
- Fixtures (outlets and switches) directly attached to aluminum wiring should be rated for its specified usage. The device will be stamped with "Al/Cu" or "CO/ALR." The latter supersedes the former, but both are safe. These fixtures are somewhat more expensive than the ordinary ones.
- Wires should be properly connected (at least 3/4 way around the screw in a clockwise direction). Connections should be tight. While repeated tightening of the screws can make the problem worse, during the inspection it would pay off to snug up each connection. Note that aluminum wiring is still often used for the main service entrance cable. It should be inspected.
- "Push-in" terminals are an extreme hazard with aluminum wire. Any connections using push-in terminals should be redone with the proper screw connections immediately.
- There should be no signs of overheating: darkened connections, melted insulation, or "baked" fixtures. Any such damage should be repaired immediately.
- Connections between aluminum and copper wire need to be handled by a specialist. The NEC requires that the wire be connected together using special crimp devices, with an antioxidant grease. The tools and materials for the latter are quite expensive; it's not practical to do it yourself unless you can rent the tool. However, regulations are changing rapidly in this area, so discuss any work with an inspector if you're going to do more than one or two connections.
- Any non-rated receptacle can be connected to aluminum wiring by means of a short copper "pigtail". See above.
During the 1970s, aluminum wiring became quite popular and was extensively used instead of copper wiring. Since that time, aluminum wiring has been implicated in a number of house fires, and most jurisdictions no longer permit it in new electrical wiring installations.
Our Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas Aluminum Wiring Replacement Contractor Provides:
- Aluminum Electrical Wiring Repairs
- Aluminum Electrical Wiring Replacement
- Aluminum Electrical Re-wiring
We Provide Aluminum Wiring Replacement in the Following Areas:
Why Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas Homeowners Should Hire Us For Their Aluminum Wiring Replacement
At Greenwave Electric, your experience includes treating you and your home with respect. We enjoy our Aluminum Wiring Replacement work and it shows! From start to finish, our Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas area Aluminum Wiring Replacement electrical contractors work with you, the homeowner, every step of the way. Our goal is to ensure that your Aluminum Wiring Replacement project is completed just the way you expect it. We strive for excellent service, that's on time and at an affordable price.
Our Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas electricians have years of experience in the Aluminum Wiring Replacement field. This experience allows us to complete our projects on time and with unmatched quality. Call on Greenwave Electric today to find out why countless other Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas Area homeowners have chosen us for their electrical service needs.
We look forward to welcoming you as a customer and being your preferred electrician whenever you have a Aluminum Wiring Replacement problem in your Topeka and Lawrence home. When you invite our Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas electricians into your home, you will encounter not only certified service technicians, but experts who are trained to deliver to you a tailored and unique service experience. Whether you need electrical repairs, electrical upgrades, or just need a professional electrician, Greenwave Electric has you covered.
What Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas Homeowners Are Saying About Our Aluminum Wiring Replacement
"I found this company using Angie's List and they were highly recommended. Ryan P. did a great job he was on time, pleasant and did a good job explaining what needed to be done. He got the job done more quickly than I expected. I will definitely be using the company again. I signed up for their service partner program. "
- Lori S. | Rated: 3 / 3
Recent Articles About Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas Aluminum Wiring Replacement
- Why Do Circuit Breakers Trip?
- Reasons for Getting a Lawrence Electrical Safety Inspection
When a circuit breaker trips in your Topeka home, it will cause a power outage, then you’ll have to go […]
It’s easy to take for granted the luxuries that our modern day electricity in our homes offer but quick to […]
For electrical service in Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas, complete our online request form, or call an experienced electrician today!